- abbr. Irish Republican Army.
* * *nounbelligerence aroused by a real or supposed wrong (personified as one of the deadly sins)
* * *\\ˌī(ˌ)ärˈā also ˈīrə\ abbreviation or noun (-s)
* * */uy"reuh/, n.a male given name: from a Hebrew word meaning "watchful."
* * *abbrevIrish Republican Army
* * *IRA1 (no periods) or I.R.A.1,Irish Republican Army (an association of Irish nationalists outlawed in 1931 that continues to operate, often by sabotage and other means, for a united Ireland to include the Irish Republic and Northern Ireland).IRA2 (no periods),International Reading Association.IRA3 (no periods) or I.R.A.2 «Y ruh»,Individual Retirement Account (a pension fund, into which a person deposits wages and defers paying tax on them or on the interest until withdrawals begin). IRA's are administered by banks, savings and loan associations, insurance companies, etc. The money in an IRA earns interest that is added to the account. »
Keogh…retirement accounts…are in many ways similar to IRAs but are available only to the self-employed (Chicago Tribune).
* * *abbr.■ (often ['īrə]) individual retirement account■ Irish Republican Army
* * *I/ˌaıˌɑɚˈeı/ noun, pl IRAs [count]US : a special account in which you can save and invest money for your retirement without having to pay taxes on the money until a later time◇ IRA is an abbreviation of “individual retirement account.”———————— IIabbrIrish Republican Army
a representative of the IRA
an IRA attack
* * *IRA [IRA] [ˌaɪ ɑːr ˈeɪ] [ˌaɪ ɑːr ˈeɪ] abbreviationthe abbreviation for ‘Irish Republican Army ’ (an illegal organization which has fought for Northern Ireland to be united with the Republic of Ireland)Culture:The IRA was formed in 1919, but became more active after 1968, when British soldiers began to be based permanently in Northern Ireland. During this period of ‘the Troubles ’, the IRA committed many acts of violence in Northern Ireland, England and other countries. In 1994 a ceasefire (= a period during which there is no fighting) was declared, which ended in 1996 but was declared again in 1997. In 2005 the IRA ordered an end to its armed campaign and announced that it had given up all weapons. The military part of the IRA is often referred to as the Provisional IRA (also called the ↑Provisionals or the Provos). ↑Sinn Fein is often called the ‘political wing of the IRA’.See also ↑INLA.
Useful english dictionary. 2012.